Triple Chocolate Brownies
Adapted from Best Recipes Ever
½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 tbsp honey or corn syrup
2 tbsp whole milk
8.5 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used 70%), chopped, divided
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup flour
¼ cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped candy-coated milk chocolate (I used frozen Mini Eggs that I smashed)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9” pan with parchment.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring sugar, butter, honey and milk to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 5 oz of the bittersweet chocolate until melted. Remove from heat.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in remaining bittersweet chocolate, cranberries and candy coated milk chocolate.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
Total Fat: 11.8 g
Cholesterol: 32.9 mg
Sodium: 40.9 mg
Total Carbs: 28.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 3.2 g
Like I said, the recipe is one that is easy to play with. The same nut-free rules as the brownies didn't apply, but I had some leftover SunButter from making another batch of Monkey Balls, and figured why not try that in a half-batch? For a bit more texture than a smooth nut butter gives, I tossed in some crunchy, flaked cereal as well. A bath in bittersweet chocolate (can you tell I loathe milk chocolate?) later and I had my very own nut-free "Butterfingers"!
Homemade Butterfinger BarsMakes 1 loaf pan, 8 bars
1 ½ cups candy corn
½ cup creamy nut (or seed) butter (use crunchy peanut for traditional flavour)*
1/3 cup crushed "crunchy" cereal
7 oz chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
*NB: Peanut butter is used in the NI
- Line a loaf pan with parchment, making sure to cover all sides.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt candy corn, checking and stirring frequently.
- Immediately stir in the nut butter and cereal until fully combined.
- Press mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Remove from pan and cut into bars.
- Dip bars in the chocolate to evenly coat.
Total Fat: 19.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 179.0 mg
Total Carbs: 45.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g
Protein: 6.0 g
With all that leftover coating chocolate, I couldn't help myself - I added some confectionary-quality orange oil and chopped almonds, turned it into a mini loaf pan, then after it set I cut cubes for the adults to enjoy!