I actually made this for the coordinator of the charity gala, since she's been so generous by both figuring out all the logistics of the event and it's associated dessert auction and asking me to bake every year! Keeping in tune with the general autism diet restrictions of gluten- and casein-free, I wanted to give her something that was also nut and egg free just in case someone in her home had an allergy or intolerance to those too. Of course, I knew exactly where I'd be headed for the inspiration and at least a basic recipe - and really, would you argue with a Goddess? A couple of clicks and a quick pantry check down the road later, I knew what I'd be making: Karina's self-proclaimed"lovely gluten-free apple cake with coconut flour".
At least, I'd be making a version of it. I designed mine to use what was sitting within convenient reach (i.e. I didn't want to schlep out to the store!) with a heightened coconut element and lower sugar. A bit of shredded coconut meat got stirred in, and I used coconut oil in place of the canola. A few tweaks to the flour and starch and binder later and I had my creation - a tender, moist, slightly exotic and definitely delicious coffee cake.
Apple Coconut Coffee Cake
Makes 1 10" cake, 12 slices
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
¼ cup hot water
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup rice flour
½ cup organic coconut flour
½ cup cornstarch
1 tsp guar gum
½ tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
2 apples, peeled and chopped small
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 apple, peeled and sliced medium-thick
1 tsp raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the bottom of a 10” spring form pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and hot water. Set aside.
- Whisk together flours, starch, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together flax mixture, brown sugar, oil, coconut milk and vanilla until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in the chopped apples and coconut.
- Spread in the prepared pan and lightly press sliced apple pieces in a decorative pattern on top.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with raw sugar.
- Bake 55 - 60 minutes. Do not open the oven door before 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan twenty minutes, then loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and remove the ring. Cool completely before slicing (although this is delicious gently reheated).
Calories: 304.8Total Fat: 15.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 10.6 mg
Total Carbs: 49.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.5 gProtein: 2.6 g