Luxurious Ricotta Frosting

So, now that you've all made and basked in the creamy deliciousness that is my Richer Ricotta, are you looking for something to use it in? Of course, the cheese is perfectly delicious on its own, filling celery boats or smeared on toast points, but after a while you might be looking for a change of pace. Am I right? I'm definitely right around here - Mom's travelling for work this week so there isn't much in-house eating by anyone other than me (and my sister, when I cook for her - more on that in a future post). Besides, over the course of testing recipes for a cookbook review I'm writing, I found myself with two cakes in need of some frosting, which took precedence over the other logical application I thought of - baked pasta.

Given that the two cakes (from Classic Artisan Baking by Julian Day) were similar in that they both contained walnuts and also had a rich flavour component to them (a carrot cake with spices and whole grains and an espresso-laced almond and spelt flour concoction), upping the ante with a tangy topping seemed appropriate. The slight zing of the ricotta really heightens the flavours of the cakes, and while neither the original "plain" frosting nor the "mocha" versions are overly sweet, they're definitely sweet enough for dessert! I'd wager that in a pinch you could use either of the frostings as a stellar filling for cannoli (or my favourite "fake-out", sugar ice cream cones!). The only thing I wouldn't suggest doing is trying to frost the sides of a cake with it - it's just a little bit too soft for that.


Luxurious Ricotta Frosting
Makes enough to fill and top a 9" cake
4.5 oz (dry wt.) Richer Ricotta
2 tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening (I used Earth Balance - don't use butter, it makes it too soft to hold up)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
zest of 1 small or 1/2 large orange
1/3 cup sifted icing sugar
pinch nutmeg
pinch sea salt
  1. Beat together ricotta, shortening, vanilla and orange zest in a bowl.
  2. Add the sugar and nutmeg and beat until smooth and fluffy.
Amount Per Serving (1/12th of a cake) 
Calories: 48.4
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 4.8 mg
Sodium: 27.7 mg
Total Carbs: 3.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
Protein: 0.5 g

Mocha Variation:
  • Beat in 2 tbsp sifted icing sugar, 2 tsp instant espresso powder and 2 tsp sifted cocoa powder

Mocha Variation
You have just read the article entitled Luxurious Ricotta Frosting. Please read the article from Emilija the sweet Estsin About , , , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://emilija-thesweetestsin.blogspot.com/2012/05/luxurious-ricotta-frosting.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Emilija the sweet Estsin