If you're looking to stand out in the vanilla cupcake world, though, you have to up the ante. I'm talking full-on vanilla flavour, metered sweetness and a place for a decadent, contrasting filling. I lucked out when I tried to modify a recipe in Alice Medrich's Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts: Quicker Smarter Recipes. The One-Bowl Vanilla Cake (p. 222) that I tried to turn into transportable, shareable cupcakes wound up sinking horribly in the middle despite being cooked through, and I debated binning the lot. I still don't know why I didn't, but I'm glad! The flavour is intense vanilla, but not to the point where it's bitter. If you're a vanilla lover (or know someone who is), this is for you!
Sinfully Simple Vanilla Cupcakes
3.1 oz sugar
1 oz vanilla sugar
3.75 oz flour
large pinch sea salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup whole milk
2.5 tbsp canola oil
1 whole egg
1/4 cup dried whole egg powder
1/2 cup water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350F, line 10 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk together sugars, flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add milk and oil and whisk in.
- Combine egg, egg powder, water, vanilla and vanilla bean in a small bowl and beat into the flour mixture just until the mixture is smooth.
- Portion into the muffin cups and bake 18-22 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then unmould onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- These will have a sunken middle - fill with jam or a decadent filling (stay tuned tomorrow!)
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 55.5 mg
Sodium: 20.6 mg
Total Carbs: 19.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 2.8 g