After they roasted and cooled, I pureed them smooth and cooked them down a little bit more on the stovetop to evaporate any excess water. Then, it was just a question of what to make first! My Pinterest board was swimming with ideas, all of which I wanted to make that instant, but finally I decided on a relatively simple streusel bar from Nan's Recipe Spot. Then it was just a case of making it my own, adding roasted pumpkin seeds and whole wheat flour to the crust for flavour and nutrition, cutting down the sugar and butter a touch and making a different recipe for the topping. The filling became eggless, with a touch of rich local honey and a dash of cornstarch for thickening. The whole thing baked into one striated, but complete package full of texture and flavour. Not too sweet, it was a great addition to the office coffee break room even though most Fall flavours have long since disappeared from the bakery shelves!
Shared with Foodie Friends Friday
Pumpkin Streusel Bars
¼ cup old fashioned oats (not instant or quick cooking)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp butter
1 2/3 cups pureed pumpkin (not pie mix)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 ½ tsp pumpkin spice
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup old fashioned oats (not instant or quick cooking)
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp raw sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a 9” pan with parchment.
- Combine crust ingredients, mixing with a pastry blender or fork.
- Press into the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat together the pumpkin, brown sugar, honey and pumpkin spice until smooth.
- Whisk together the milk and cornstarch and mix into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spread filling over baked crust.
- Combine the topping mixture until crumbly and sprinkle over the filling.
- Return to the oven and bake another 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 8.3 mg
Sodium: 153.7 mg
Total Carbs: 33.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 2.3 g