When I received Casey Barber's Classic Snacks Made from Scratch almost a year ago, I made her version of "goldfish" crackers (which I titled Gold Stars), but kept the recipe bookmarked because I wanted to try out a gluten-free version. I finally got around to it - using a blend of gluten-free all purpose and buckwheat flours which I then perked up with smoky chipotle pepper and sweet onion powder. A delicate balance between nutty, salty, tangy and spicy, they are perfect topped with Hot Pepper Pomegranate Jelly or fruit chutney for your next party platter, or for tucking into your lunchbag as a side for a bowl of soup.
This Bread Baking Day we're covering crispbread recipes from all over the world. Check out our host, Kochpoetin, as well as our creator Zorra's pages for more info! Also shared with Gluten Free Fridays
Chipotle Cheese Buckwheat Crackers
4 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3.5 oz gluten-free all purpose flour
1 oz whole buckwheat flour
1 tbsp Cheddar cheese powder (Frontier and Kraft are gluten free)
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined, kneading by hand in the bowl until a stiff, "doughy" mass forms.
- Form a log about 1 ½” in diameter and wrap well in plastic.
- Chill 24 hours*.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice dough into 1/8" slices. Place on the sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on the sheets.
- Transfer to an airtight container and eat within a few days.
Amount Per Serving (1 cracker)
Total Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 3.9 mg
Sodium: 68.9 mg
Total Carbs: 3.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 1.6 g