This version of the classic cinnamon raisin bread came around after several failed attempts at toasting slices of my Sister's Sweet Cinnamon - Swirl Bread. While they were perfect for French toast and fine just smeared with peanut butter, the toaster was a bit too violent for the swirl to handle. Teaghan wanted the flavour of the original but in a more cohesive package, with extra raisins. I was only too happy to oblige!
This loaf redux if being sent to Susan's YeastSpotting event.
Spicy Raisin Bread
2 cups unsweetened apple juice
7 fl. oz (1 cup minus 2 tbsp) unsweetened almond milk, warmed
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups whole wheat bread flour
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp large-grain turbinado sugar
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup sultana raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- In a saucepan, cook the apple juice until it is reduced to 2 tbsp. Let cool slightly.
- Pour the reduced juice into a large measuring cup and add enough warm almond milk to equal 1 cup.
- Stir in the yogurt, brown sugar, eggs and oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook) combine the flour, yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, and turbinado sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients and begin mixing.
- Knead for 3 minutes, then add the salt and knead a further 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rest 45 minutes.
- Punch down and knead in the raisins.
- Re-cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9x5" loaf pan.
- Cover loosely and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, covering with foil after 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pan immediately and cool on a rack.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 23.2 mg
Sodium: 27.5 mg
Total Carbs: 37.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g
Protein: 6.0 g