I know - another tomato recipe for #SundaySupper? I can't help it - not only do we have some of the most delicious tomatoes I've ever tasted in my backyard, but there's a ton of them and we just can't power through 4 each at every meal! Luckily I did receive a copy of
Tomato: A Fresh-from-the-Vine Cookbook by Lawrence Davis-Hollander to review on my other blog, so I've had no shortage of ideas as to what to do! While I have yet to write up the full review (other work took over my life the last few weeks), I can say that if you grow tomatoes at all, this is definitely a good buy. The only thing it's missing is a good long-simmering marinara sauce, but it does have a roasted tomato sauce that is fantastic - and of course there's the Tomato Confit.
Honestly, I'm still amazed that something this simple creates something so incredible. Essentially cooked in their own juices and a dab of olive oil, it's an easy way to preserve any glut you might have. While easy to put together (especially if you use this tip for easy peeling!), you pay in time - bank on 4 hours or so for perfectly toast or pasta worthy confit. Whatever you can't eat right away (within a month), place in zip-top bags or plastic containers and freeze: unless you have a pressure canner of course, then feel free to can away!
Because they're so versatile, they can be tossed into pasta, with rice, on crackers or good, crusty bread and (of course) on your Labour Day burgers and dogs. Our #SundaySupper group is embracing all things long weekend today, so I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration below too!
#SundaySupper Labour Day Nosh!
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes! Just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag! We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
Serves 6 - about 1 1/2 cups
16 large plum tomatoes, halved, seeded and peeled
salt, to taste
1 tsp dried thyme
3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200F.
- Place the tomatoes, cut side up, in a baking dish and sprinkle with salt and thyme.
- Drizzle evenly with oil.
- Bake, without stirring, for 4 hours. Tomatoes with shrink and get deliciously soft and melty, but will not dry out.
- Pack in a jar covered with a little more oil and store in the fridge up to 1 month.
Total Fat: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 14.9 mg
Total Carbs: 7.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 1.4 g