I also adore carrot cake - and since I was making carrot cake for my grandma's 80th birthday party I was already in the "groove". But I didn't want to just make a carrot cake batter and bung it into the doughnut pan. For one thing, the batch of cake is huge compared to a tiny 6-hole doughnut pan. Second, while I did "healthy" the recipe up a bit (it's forthcoming, promise!), it still had eggs and some gluten-containing, white flour (neither of which is bad in moderation!). So, for this week's #SundaySupper (#BakefortheCure with Chantal) I wanted to bring something that almost everyone can enjoy - a gluten free, vegan baked doughnut with all the taste of carrot cake but are just sweet enough to be a treat! While they're delicious au naturale, when I glazed them with an orange-lemon and powdered sugar glaze with the barest hint of nutmeg... divine!
Chantal and #SundaySupper have come together to encourage everyone to bake for someone who has been affected by cancer or someone in the medical profession who makes a difference in the lives of cancer patients. Chantal is offering will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on . BAKE4CURE must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012.
Here's what the recipients of the Chantal pie plate cooked up:
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- German Apple Pie by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Webicurean
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by The Meltaways
- Lemon Meringue Pie by The Messy Baker Blog
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Fancified Shepard’s Pie by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
And here are the rest of us who baked for a cause!
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Pie by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic rosemary yeast rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible cheeseburger pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?
Gluten - Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts
1 1/2 tbsp ground flax
1/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 tsp guar gum
generous 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp ground pecans
3 tbsp cream of brown rice cereal
2 tbsp fine cornmeal
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp vanilla
2/3 cup finely grated carrot (1 large)
1/4 cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 425°F and coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- In a small dish, whisk together the flax and hot water. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flours, cornstarch, guar gum, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, pecans, brown rice cereal and cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the almond milk, brown sugar, agave, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Beat in the flax slurry.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Fold in the carrots and coconut.
- Bake 8 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when touched.
- Cool 5 minutes in the pans before turning out.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
Total Fat: 3.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 63.8 mg
Total Carbs: 19.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 1.6 g