For #SundaySupper this week, we're celebrating the coming Spring season by sharing recipes that are as bright as the future months. Amber of Mama's Blissful Bites is our host, and we have quite the delectable array to choose from when it comes to cooking for the season! I decided on these chewy somen noodles that I stir fried with shredded cabbage and broccoli and dressed with a spicy, sweet garlic - teriyaki - scallion sauce inspired by White on Rice Couple and Simply Reem. I've made it a few times now, and in the absence of scallions I've also used shaved leeks, which were amazing as well!
For what it's worth, I prefer San-J Teriyaki Sauce for general cooking (and especially noodle dishes like this), but it isn't vegan as it's honey based (I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs but I'm pretty lax on the honey thing). Steels is a good vegan option or you can make your own if you have the time and ingredients! The stevia I've been using lately is by a brand called Pyure, who's organic brand of stevia is made with probiotic inulin and tastes fantastic.
Hungry for our Spring menu? Check out the #SundaySupper nosh below!
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Savory Crepes with Prawns, Broccoli and Hollandaise Sauce by Masala Herb
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Gluten Free Carrot Cookies by Simply Gourmet
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream by Buffy and George
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Irish Spring Tea Party by My Cute Bride
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite Springtime recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat!
How do you celebrate Spring? Do you have a special seasonal dish you like to make?
Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles
Makes one generous serving
4 green onions (scallions), white and “sturdy” green parts minced (or 1 large leek, shaved)
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 clove minced garlic
a big pinch chili flakes
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp water
3 packets stevia
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp sesame oil
6 oz shredded cabbage
3.5 oz broccoli, blanched
2 oz dried somen (or soba) noodles, cooked according to package directions (usually about 3 minutes) and drained well
¼ medium cucumber thinly julienned
½ lime, cut in wedges (for serving)
- Mix all the ingredients for sauce in the bowl, check for the seasoning.
- Set aside for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 day (so the flavour can develop).
- Heat the oil in a deep saute pan or wok and add the cabbage and broccoli.
- Cook over medium high heat until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add the noodles and cook until hot and slightly dried out.
- Pour in the sauce, toss and cook 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the cucumber.
- Serve immediately with lime.
Total Fat: 3.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 2,448.0 mg
Total Carbs: 70.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.7 g
Protein: 12.3 g