Food and movies go hand-in-hand. Some movies have food as a star or prominent highlight. This week the #SundaySupper crew is all about the movies and the recipes they inspire. Whether it's the whimsy of the genius rodent in Ratatouille, the close-to-home blogger saga of Julie & Julia or the heartwarming feastaval of Big Night, food has never been so entertaining! This event is hosted by Heather from girlichef - Thanks Heather!
My recipe for Baked Mac & Cheese is actually something I never made before I started working at the school. Growing up, M&C meant breaking out the blue box of Kraft Dinner and mixing the powdery, neon cheese into limp noodles. Granted, the stuff was delicious enough in it's own right, especially day-old and mixed with spaghetti sauce, leftover chopped turkey and frozen peas. But homemade mac? A whole other animal, and frankly, an equally good (if not a tiny bit better) cheesy meal for the whole family when you have a few extra minutes to bake the dish while making a salad and setting the table. The sauce takes less time to make than the pasta takes to cook, and the baking is more a formality than anything, to brown the crumbs and get that nice crispy crust.
I took my inspiration from the movie Soul Food, about the interweaving lives of a southern family that always convened for a Sunday dinner. Since mac and cheese is the epitome of that cuisine for me, and was one of those meals that really does remind me of the whole family, I thought it was perfect for this week's event.
Check out what the rest of us are watching, cooking and eating this week!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) - Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It's Complicated) - That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- "Eat Me" Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) - The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) - The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Momma's Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) - Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) - Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) - Pescetarian Journal
Today's Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) - Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) - I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) - Big Bear's Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) - From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) - girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) - Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) - My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) - Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) - Juanita's Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) - Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) - Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) - The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) - Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS') (inspired by The Princess Bride) - The Cooking Actress
- Minny's Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) - Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) - Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) - No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney's Fantasia) - NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) - Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) - The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) - Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) - Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) - NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) - Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, April 14th to talk all about movies that have inspired us to head into the kitchen - and the food that comes from that inspiration (7pm EST)! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Better Baked Mac & Cheese
2 tbsp salt (for pasta water)
2 kg elbow macaroni
6 cups whole milk, divided
½ tsp pepper
½ tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
¼ cup cornstarch
1 kg shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs or crushed Goldfish crackers
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease 2 large casserole dishes.
- Boil a large pot of water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 5 cups of milk in a saucepan.
- Stir in the pepper, parsley, garlic powder, salt and butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese until melted.
- Pour over the pasta in the pot and fold in completely.
- Divide pasta between the casserole dishes, top with reserved cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese melts and casserole is bubbly.
Total Fat: 11.7 g
Cholesterol: 34.3 mg
Sodium: 240.0 mg
Total Carbs: 44.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g
Protein: 15.9 g