I dialed up the malted flavour a touch more in my batch too - using a roasted malted barley flour as well as swapping the chocolate syrup for the less cloying, more flavourful sweetness of malted barley syrup. Bittersweet chocolate chips replaced the milk chocolate in the original, and the whole batch became eggless with the help of one of my favourite egg replacers - ground chia seed. Huge, with chewy middles and perfectly crisp edges, these are cookies you would be proud to serve at a bake sale, an ice cream party or just after school with a tall glass of milk!
Shared with Sugar & Slice Sundays
Triple Malt Chocolate Chippers
Makes 15 large cookies
6 oz non-hydrogenated shortening
2 oz salted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup water
2 tbsp barley malt syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup malted milk powder
1 tbsp ground chia seed (or ground flax)
1 cup flour
1 cup malted barley flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups bittersweet (or semisweet) miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat together the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add flours, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- Beat on low speed until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by scant ¼ cupfuls onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Cool completely on pans.
Total Fat: 19.9 g
Cholesterol: 14.6 mg
Sodium: 45.9 mg
Total Carbs: 47.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
Protein: 3.0 g