While I didn't have a tiny goldfish cookie cutter to make the "authentic-looking" crackers from Classic Snacks by Casey Barber, I did have a tiny star... so gold"fish" became either gold"starfish" or simply gold "stars", depending on the audience. After the first round of baking was a bit of a fiasco (my fault for not taking into account smaller cutters), the next batch (made with a spelt/whole wheat pastry/AP flour mix, a dash of black pepper, and a combination of shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese) was spot on.
For the adults, extra old Cheddar, a pinch of both jalapeno and chipotle chili powders and a chili pepper were on the menu - and were just as well received!
This month's #RecipeRedux is all about the grab n' go snacks we love - be they for road trips, airport lines or late night outdoor movie screenings!
Makes about 85
4 oz shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese (or just Cheddar)
2 oz flour
2 1/4 oz spelt flour
1 tbsp Cheddar cheese powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
generous pinch black pepper
1/4 cup 1% milk
1 tbsp canola oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Knead by hand in the bowl until a stiff, slightly dry "doughy" mass forms.
- Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll dough out to 1/8" thickness and cut with star-shaped cutters (or your favourite small cutter).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on the sheets.
- Transfer to an airtight container and eat within a few days.
Total Fat: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 1.4 mg
Sodium: 24.5 mg
Total Carbs: 0.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 0.4 g