I wish I could take credit for the idea to thoroughly souse the pure chocolate bliss that is a brownie with caffeine, but in fact the original recipe was found in Petite Treats: Your Favorite Desserts-Bite Size!. Sadly, as is the book's recipe was on the dry side when I made it verbatim, so I took preemptive measures for my mom's batch. Honey added a moist chew, brown sugar added depth and more chocolate chips added pops of yummy texture. Just to be sure there was no dry or hard brownie bits at all, when I flipped out the bars they got a nice brushing of Kahlua and a rich chocolatey icing too. Hey, only the best for Mom - and what mom doesn't need a little "pick me up" these days?
This #SundaySupper is all about Mom - we're celebrating the amazing women that brought us into the world as well as all the other incredible women who acted in loco parentis growing up. Make sure you take a look at what all the other #SundaySupper participants are sharing for Mother's Day!
Mother's Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita's Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother's Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother's Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother's Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream from Neighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom's Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom's Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni's Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Don't forget to join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today to celebrate Mother's Day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
What do you think of when you think of your Mom? Do you have any special memories?
Makes 16 rich squares
3 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used couverture wafers)¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
½ cup sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vanilla
2 ½ tbsp instant espresso powder
2/3 cup flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp sea salt
¼ cup miniature chocolate chips
2 tbsp Kahlua, for brushing
2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp instant espresso powder
¼ cup bittersweet chocolate (I used couverture wafers)
2 tsp honey
¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9” pan with greased parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave, then whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Whisk the eggs, sugars, honey and vanilla until light and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the espresso powder, the melted chocolate mixture, flour, baking powder and salt, blending just to combine.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan, then turn out onto a plate and brush with Kahlua.
- Beat together the butter, powdered sugar and espresso powder until combined.
- Melt the chocolate, honey and salt together, then add to the powdered sugar mixture and beat well.
- Spread immediately on cooled brownies and allow to set.
Total Fat: 8.8 g
Cholesterol: 34.8 mg
Sodium: 41.9 mg
Total Carbs: 32.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 2.2 g