Not only are these brownies the third bar cookie in a row, but they're also the second brownie I've shared from Petite Treats: Your Favorite Desserts-Bite Size!. I was intrigued by these (salled "Mrs Randalls Brownies"in the book) because they were sugar, gluten and animal-product free - basically the antithesis of the typical brownie. However, their saving grace was the combination of flavours from rich cocoa, creamy coconut oil and ground nuts (almonds and hazelnuts), along with the natural sweetness of stevia and agave. They're even portion controlled, being baked in perfect "two bite" mini muffins - just remember to watch that timer. Overbaked, you might as well be eating those sawdusty charcoal briquettes you just bought for your long weekend BBQ. I strongly recommend the frosting too - not super sweet, but creamy enough to elevate these bites to "something special"!
Sent to Ricki's Wellness Weekend
Mrs. Randall’s Brownies (Ms Sarah’s Version!)
3 tbsp ground chia seed
1 tsp pure stevia powder
½ cup hot water
4 drops liquid stevia
½ cup agave nectar or honey
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
½ cup ground hazelnuts
¼ cup ground almonds
½ cup cocoa (or carob) powder
¼ cup arrowroot flour
1/3 cup good-quality semisweet chocolate (I suggest Callebeaut or Ghirardelli)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 18 mini muffin wells with cooking spray.
- Mix the chia meal and stevia powder and pour in the hot water. Stir to combine.
- Add the liquid stevia, agave and coconut oil and beat well.
- Mix together the hazelnuts, almonds, carob and arrowroot flour, add to the wet mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Fill each muffin well with the batter.
- Bake 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- For icing/glaze, melt the chocolate, coconut oil and almond milk together. Spoon over the cooled brownies (or dip into the mixture) and allow to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I suggest gently warming them in a dish with 1 tsp of almond milk before serving.
Total Fat: 7.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 1.5 mg
Total Carbs: 5.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 1.5 g