Hazelnut Torte

There isn't a single person in my immediate family (or stepfamily) who isn't a fan of at least one type of nut. Even I have a favourite, although it has been a long time since eating any of them without an allergic reaction, and it happens to be the same as my famously picky sister's. While she doesn't necessarily realize it, Teaghan and I both adore the taste of hazelnuts - especially when paired with chocolate. 
 
 When I found a recipe for a ground hazelnut cake in one of the books that had just arrived in my "to review" pile (The Four Season Farm Gardener's Cookbook: From the Garden to the Table in 120 Recipes), it immediately preoccupied my whole thought process when it came to baking. I couldn't wait to have an excuse to make this rich, nutty torte - and finally I decided I didn't need one. I even knew what I'd use to fill and frost it - far richer (and, ahem, better) than the classically simple whipped cream or crème fraîche (common with European tortes like this), I whipped up that Luxuriously Healthy Chocolate Frosting you saw yesterday and lavishly dolloped it onto the bottom layer to make a thick creme-like filling. Rather than spread the remainder all over the surface of the layers (although I had more than enough), I opted for a moderate smear on top followed by a dusting of cocoa for a hint of bitter richness. 

Filbert Torte with Rich Chocolate Frosting

All together, the finished dessert was two layers of dense (but surprisingly light) gluten and dairy free hazelnut cake with almost half a layer's thickness worth of frosting - a mixture akin to a healthier Nutella (on steroids!). 

Sending to Sugar & Slice Sunday, Mouthwatering Monday, Marvellous Monday, Mix it up MondayTwo Cup Tuesday and Totally Tasty Tuesdays

Hazelnut Torte
Makes 12 slices
4 eggs
Filbert Torte with Rich Chocolate Frosting2 tbsp coconut oil (I like the expeller-pressed kind for this since it doesn't have any distinct flavour, which would overpower the hazelnuts)
¾ cup raw sugar
6 oz finely ground hazelnuts (AKA hazelnut flour or meal)
Pinch sea salt
1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line two 8” round pans with parchment or greased foil.
  2. With a whisk, beat the eggs, oil and sugar together until light-coloured and bubbly.
  3. Add the hazelnuts, coconut flour, sea salt and baking powder and whisk until well combined and no dry spots remain.
  4. Divide evenly between the pans, then rap sharply on a countertop to dislodge big air bubbles and even the batter out.
  5. Bake for 20-22 minutes. 
  6. Cool completely in the pans before finishing with your chosen filling and topping (I recommend my Luxuriously Healthy Chocolate Frosting and fresh raspberries)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 185.2
Total Fat: 12.6 g
Cholesterol: 62.0 mg
Sodium: 23.6 mg
Total Carbs: 15.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 4.4 g













You have just read the article entitled Hazelnut Torte. Please read the article from Emilija the sweet Estsin About , , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://emilija-thesweetestsin.blogspot.com/2013/05/hazelnut-torte.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Emilija the sweet Estsin