That said, Fall is the perfect time of year to get back into the groove of soups, stews and one-pot meals. They tend to be heartier, brothier and more "comfort-foodish" than their fresh and light Summer cousins, and they're less fussy than many composed salads or fresh-dependent fare like gazpacho. When I set about making this soup for my mom (who was a fan of a similar dish at a local restaurant), I wanted to incorporate the earthy "grounding" tastes and colours of Autumn as well as play homage to a Summer that had treated us well, garden-wise. Over the last few weeks of our tomato season, I began to roast almost every harvest of currant or cherry tomatoes I brought in, scraping them into a plastic zip-top bag for use in later soups and sauces. I brought out one of my bags for this potage, along with a harvest of late-season bell peppers which added a nice freshness. The rest of the pot filled up with carrots, kidney beans, leftover Citrus and Herb Roast Chicken and the broth I made from its carcass. A dash of cornmeal added texture and body, while a mix of chile powders added a rounded spiciness. After a relatively short simmer, the soup was spicy but not too too hot, thick but spoonable, and a prime candidate for lunch!
This week for #SundaySupper, Amy is hosting a roundup of one pot wonders. From soup to spaghetti and even desserts, there's no reason for us to dirty another dish tonight!
“Take the Chill Off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put Meat on Your Bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make Room for Seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t Say No” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
8 oz carrots, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz diced, cooked chicken
1 tbsp chili powder
½ tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ancho chile pepper powder
½ tsp jalapeño chile powder
¼ tsp celery seed
½ tsp salt
3 cups (1 19-oz can) no-salt-added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1 ½ cups roasted diced tomatoes, homemade or canned and drained (just watch the salt)
¼ cup coarse cornmeal
2 tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and pepper and cook, stirring often, for about 7-8 minutes (until the onion begins to colour).
- Add the garlic, chicken and spices and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the salt, beans, broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cornmeal and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 14.0 mg
Sodium: 262.2 mg
Total Carbs: 19.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.8 g
Protein: 11.5 g