At any rate, having a go-to snack stashed in the freezer can be a boon for your health and wallet... especially if you have food allergies, which mean a lot of the handy "mall food" is off-limits. These festive, seasonal muffins are not only gluten free, but they are nut, soy and egg free as well! Greek yoghurt, orange juice and coconut oil help keep these moist and rich tasting even after a few weeks in the freezer (wrap each individually in cling wrap and place in a zip-top freezer bag for best storage), so all you have to do is pop one in your lunchbox, hockey bag or purse before racing off - by the time you get the mid-morning (or afternoon!) munchies, they'll be thawed out and ready to chow on.
We're into week three of our 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats hosted at Meal Planning Magic, and I can't wait to see what everyone else has to share too!
Gluten Free Cranberry - Citrus Muffins
Slightly adapted from Judith Finlayson's The Complete Gluten-Free Whole Grains Cookbook: 125 Delicious Recipes from Amaranth to Quinoa to Wild Rice
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 cup hot water
2/3 cup non-fat plain Greek (or homemade) yoghurt
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup corn flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp guar gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup honey-roasted sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh (or frozen, unthawed) cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a muffin tin well.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Beat in the yoghurt, orange juice and coconut oil until well blended.
- Stir in the flours, starch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, guar gum, salt and nutmeg until blended.
- Fold in the sunflower seeds and cranberries.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cool 10 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a rack.
Total Fat: 8.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.1 mg
Sodium: 127.0 mg
Total Carbs: 33.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
Protein: 4.6 g