It never occurred to me to combine the two most-often wasted goods in my house into a single, moist quickbread, until I spotted Trish's recipe on her blog Mom on Time Out. I jumped at the opportunity to make it (since we had an abundance of the main ingredients at home), and since I knew I'd be passing it along to my grandmother (who loves to take care of everyone except, unfortunately, herself [at least nutrition-wise]) I bumped up the protein, fibre and Omega fats while lowering the sugar with a spoonful of Truvia.
The loaf came out of the oven smelling like every other banana bread I've made (a really good thing if serving picky eaters!), with a hint of chocolate and nuttiness from the chips and walnuts I folded in. The top was nice and caramelized even without a raw sugar sprinkle, and thanks to the "Italian" (aka cucuzza) zucchini I used, you couldn't even see a hint of vegetable when it was sliced. Paired with your morning coffee and the newspaper on a weekend morning, a mug of tea and a good movie on TV in the afternoon, or a scoop of frozen yoghurt for a weeknight dessert, it's a winner any time of day!
Zucchini Banana Bread
Makes one 9x5" loaf, 12 slices
4 ripe bananas, peeled
¼ cup brown sugar
3 tbsp Truvia Spoonable
1 tbsp honey
⅓ cup salted butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup quick oats (not instant)
¼ cup unflavoured whey protein isolate (optional)
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 medium zucchini, grated finely (about ¾ cup packed)
½ cup chopped semi sweet chocolate
⅓ cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp whole flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 325°F, and grease a 9x5” pan.
- Mash bananas with brown sugar, Truvia, honey, butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour, oats, whey isolate, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the wet ingredients stirring just until combined.
- Fold in zucchini, chocolate, walnuts and flax seeds.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 30 minutes before removing.
Total Fat: 10.4 g
Cholesterol: 27.9 mg
Sodium: 55.9 mg
Total Carbs: 34.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
Protein: 6.5 g