These are a perfect combination of flavours and textures - sweet, salty, bitter, creamy and crunchy. I wish I could take credit for the idea - but that honour goes to Lucinda Scala Quinn and her book Mad Hungry Cravings: 173 Recipes for the Food You Want to Eat Right Now. These are definitely rich, and in no way overly great for your waistline, but you only live once and an occasional treat never hurt anyone, right? The best part is that these are almost infinitely variable - only have almond butter? Use it. Another puffed cereal your fave? Swap it for the crisp rice. Other nuts or seeds? Go ahead and chuck them in! Even things like soft caramels, potato chips, banana chips and dried cherries can find a niche in the mix. It never has to be the same thing twice!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Squares
Makes one 9” pan, 16 pieces
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 ½ cups mini marshmallows, divided (I had multicoloured ones)
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
¼ tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp chopped peanuts
3 cups crisp brown rice cereal
1 ½ cups salted sourdough hard pretzels, broken into pieces (if you love peanut butter, use peanut butter filled pretzels)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped roughly
1 oz milk chocolate, chopped roughly (I used leftover Dairy Milk Hallowe'en bars)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot and add 4 cups of the marshmallows, peanut butter, salt and peanuts.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining marshmallows, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Scrape into a parchment lined 9” pan and press in evenly.
- Let cool to room temperature before removing from the pan and cutting.
Total Fat: 6.9 g
Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Sodium: 165.3 mg
Total Carbs: 26.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 2.5 g