Whole Wheat Yoghurt, Seed and Cranberry Bread #natrelorganic

Anyone who visits our home for a meal quickly realizes that our family loves their dairy. When my sister is home from university, we go through 4L (1 gallon) of 1% every week, and between my stepdad and stepbrother (the whole milk drinkers) another 2L find their way into and out of the house as well. We usually pick up a block of cheese every grocery trip, and my mom has been continuing her Greek yoghurt love to the tune of  over 4 cups  a week too. Aside from my meals (I have a milk intolerance), dairy finds it's way into every niche of our food habits, and as I was going through my nutrition training my family became more aware of the importance of a secure, healthy milk source that was as natural as possible in a healthy lifestyle.

While nobody here is a young child, choosing an organic dairy product is even more important for their growing, sensitive systems - especially if you live in a country where pesticides, antibiotics or growth hormones are still allowed to be administered to dairy herds. In Canada, producing dairy cattle cannot have hormones or antibiotics added to their system, so the move to organic is a final step in the purity process that ensures cows are fed pesticide-free grain and grass. That said, all milk (organic and non) has the same nutrient profile in terms of macronutrients, vitamins and minerals.

pesticides, antibiotics or growth hormones
 Thanks to the kind folks at Natrel, along with my Summer Preserves Kit, I also received vouchers for their organic milk. While I baked with some as "fluid" milk, I turned the rest into ricotta and yoghurt which my family both adore and devour readily. Most of our ricotta found its way onto toast, and my mom made quick work of some yoghurt with her Yoghurt Pudding. However, I still had a little bit left over, plus a part container of store-bought yoghurt nearing expiry. Mom was needing a loaf of bread for her morning snacks at work (she loves toast and jam!), so I scouted around to see if I could find a yeasted bread with yoghurt as some of the liquids.

Ironically, I found the recipe I wound up using on Go Dairy Free - Alisa Fleming used a dairy-free sour cream as the main moisture in her delicious looking bread, and I figured I'd use the same formula with my yoghurt. I started to play around with the other ingredients the more I looked at the recipe, adding the "bits" that my mom so adores in her daily slices, and wound up with a rich, moist bread that was filled with cranberries, wheat germ, sunflower seeds and a smattering of hemp hearts for good measure. After "taste testing" a slice, my mom finished cutting the loaf, wrapping it up in foil and freezing it so she could break off what she needed as the week went on. Paired with any of the Toast Toppers, its a great snack or breakfast!

Whole Wheat Yogurt, Seed and Cranberry Bread

Shared with YeastSpotting

Whole Wheat Yogurt, Seed and Cranberry Bread
Makes 1 loaf, 16 slices
2 tbsp honey
3 packets stevia (or 2 tbsp sugar)
1 ½ cups non-fat plain Greek yoghurt (or homemade Yoghurt), room temperature
½ cup 1% milk
1 tsp salt
3 cups whole wheat bread flour
½ cup wheat germ
1 tbsp instant yeast
⅓ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
2 oz hemp hearts
  1. In a large bowl, mix together the honey, stevia, yoghurt, milk and salt until well combined.
  2. Add the flour, wheat germ and yeast and knead 12 minutes (I used my stand mixer and dough hook).
  3. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Knead in the cranberries, sunflower seeds and hemp hearts, then re-cover and allow to rest 45 minutes.
  5. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
  6. Cover and let rise 1 hour, until it begins to crest the top of the pan.
  7. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  8. Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes on the bottom rack, until the crust begins to brown slightly, and it sounds hollow when tapped.
  9. Let it cool for a few minutes in the pan, then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 147.0
Total Fat: 3.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Sodium: 23.4 mg
Total Carbs: 24.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 7.6 g
You have just read the article entitled Whole Wheat Yoghurt, Seed and Cranberry Bread #natrelorganic. Please read the article from Emilija the sweet Estsin About , , , , , , more. And you can also bookmark this page with the URL : http://emilija-thesweetestsin.blogspot.com/2013/11/whole-wheat-yoghurt-seed-and-cranberry.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Emilija the sweet Estsin